Shameless

I forgot I had a blog until I recently read a blog from another church-going Mom. One of these days I will have time to sit and do this weekly. Until then, I'll do what I can. :)

It is amazing to me how many people will come up to me and say, "You have everything so together." My first response is, "Nuh-uh!" I do not. People think that because you are not outwardly struggling, that your life must be perfect. People think if you are a certain size, have nice hair and skin, have a husband who acts like he likes you, and have children who pretend to listen to you in public, you must be the queen of all mothers/wives/etc.

Well, it's just not true. I don't broadcast our troubles, not because I am ashamed of them, but because God tells me to meditate on what is pure, right, lovely, admirable, noble, trustworthy, excellent, and praiseworthy; to think on THESE things. He doesn't say to walk around talking about the negative details of our family life. Telling everyone the BAD things that happen in our family doesn't glorify God unless we tell everyone about the GOOD things that happen.

That being said, I think if I had to use a quote from this other Mom's blog, it would be this; "I am shameless." I think she and I use it for the same reason, although she doesn't articulate it, I think it order to keep from turning people off. I don't mind telling you what is wrong with me as long as you then allow me to share what is RIGHT with me, and that is my faith in Christ; my unwavering belief that there is grace to cover even me.

Let me tell you why I'm shameless. 2 Corinthians 7:10 "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret [shame], but worldly sorrow brings death." My Savior has washed me of regret and shame, and now I can proudly proclaim that the person that I was is no longer, and that the person that I choose to be may have a long way to go to get there, but the God of all gods is walking with me the entire way.

I still act like an idiot. I sometimes call my husband by a 'pet name' that is anything but Godly, and believe me when I tell you that my husband doesn't think I'm a lady when I use that name. I sometimes yell at my children, or make angry faces at them. I sometimes wish I could put them in school and get a 'real' job so my life would be easier. I still say inappropriate things at inappropriate times and have to go back later and apologize. Does knowing that stuff about me make you feel better about your own 'pet' sins? I certainly hope not. Knowing that someone else struggles in sin shouldn't make you feel like it's okay that you struggle in those same sins. It should give you encouragement to KEEP WORKING ON NOT DOING THAT PARTICULAR SIN; not excuse the sin as 'something everyone does.'

What we have to learn to do is love those around us in SPITE of themselves. That is true Grace in action. When your spouse says something in a moment of anger or frustration, you can choose to forgive whether they ever apologize or not; or you can hold a grudge and be a miserable person. When I fail, I can wallow in grief over my sin, or I can allow the mercy of Jesus Christ to wash over my spirit and pick me up again.

Jesus Himself said it best in Matthew 22: 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Jesus loves me in spite of myself. My job is to be like Him, as much as I can, as often as I can. It starts and ends with Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 in Review

TDY en-route

2020 in a Nutshell