Be still

I am writing this one because I am just in awe of the Spirit and how it moves in us at just the right time. I have complained, just a little, of this trial called 'bed rest.' It's not easy for someone with my personality. I have really tried to remain positive and not be a grumpy bear about it. I share this weakness with a few friends that I know will pray for me, and one of them recently asked me how much I had been reading in the Word (Bible, for those of you who don't know), and I had to admit that I hadn't done much, even from my sick bed. It's not that I haven't talked to God or read things concerning God, or prayed for others, or read other Biblical materials; but as far as opening The Word and reading it daily, I haven't done that. Another friend of mine gave me a devotional for my birthday, and the book mark was the day before the surgery. So, tonight, before I turned off my lamp, I wanted to read a page of it. It's not The Word, but it gets me started, and it has bits of The Word in it. I thought, I'll start again here, with this devotional, and I'll do a bit more in the morning. Remember, it's been a month since I opened it. Here is what it said:

"THANK ME for the conditions that are requiring you to BE STILL. Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again. Some of the greatest works in My kingdom have been done from sick beds and prison cells. Instead of resenting the limitations of a weakened body, search for My way in the midst of these very circumstances. Limitations can be liberating when your strongest desire is living close to Me. Quietness and trust enhance your awareness of My Presence with you. Do not despise these simple ways of serving me. Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms. My Strength and Power show themselves most effective in weakness." Zechariah 2:13; Isaiah 30:15; 2 Corinthians 12:9
Taken from the book "Jesus Calling," February 16th.

Now I wonder, a month after that first surgery, if I have wasted time. I know I have. If I have turned the tv on, even something as harmless as HGTV, instead of giving that time to God. I know I have. If I have complained about not being able to move around when I could just as easily talk to God while being STILL. I know I have. Am I that stubborn, that God was calling me that entire 2 weeks and I was too focused on my recovery to just be STILL and hear Him? I know I am. Will I ever be able to really be STILL; will I be able to be STILL when I've been still for a month; will I listen to Him? I know I will.

What will it take for you to be Still, and will you appreciate that moment when it happens? I pray you will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TDY en-route

Well, that wasn't in the plan...

DNA