A time and a place for everything...

When we moved to Germany, we knew we had to rest.  We were so involved with gymnastics, church, home school activities, not to mention the military family activities that we tried to participate in...we were worn out.  When you're too tired to sit, you're too tired!  I can honestly say that we have learned to slow down.  We've learned that saying "no" isn't always a bad thing...it rarely is!  We went on a family bike ride last night, in the woods, then came home and played in the back yard.  You just can't beat that kind of time with the kids at their current ages.  I've been reading a book called, "5 Conversations to Have With Your Daughter."  It is encouraging that I have already been having these conversations with all 3 of my kids.  I am also encouraged that all 3 of them, so far, are very open with Joe and me.  Family time is important.  There's no such thing as a few "quality" minutes.  Kids need quantity.  You may go weeks without having  a serious conversation with your 13 year old, but it's those weeks of non-verbalization that lead to that one talk that lasts for hours.  There is comfort in quantity, and quantity leads to quality.  I've never seen it work otherwise.  

I love my husband.  He's my greatest friend.  He keeps me in line, he lifts me when I fall, he kicks me in my seat when I feel sorry for myself.  (Not literally, for those of you who are looking to criticize.  He gives me the much-needed "stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something different" speech that too many people are afraid to give.)  God knew what He was doing when He put us together.  I love my children.  I love that Caylea is still so goofy in spite of the growing trend to grow up too fast.  I love that Chloe makes up the most ridiculous jokes, just hoping to make someone smile.  I love that Josh still brings his Lego creations to me and asks me to take a picture.  Life is good.  God is good.

Comments

Ashley said…
Amen, Tori. I can only pray that I do half as good a job with my kids that you have done with yours. You are such an inspiration and encouragement to me...all the way from Germany. I have learned SO much from you just in the few years we went to church together and through keeping in touch via email/facebook/blog about being a godly woman, submissive wife, and encouraging and fun mother. I love you dearly and thank God for you.
5Ingrams said…
All of the glory goes to God. He showed me to "cry out for wisdom for she roams the streets, searching for us" (Proverbs) and that He "gives abundantly to all who ask" (James). When I started truly crying out for Him to fill me with His wisdom, things changed. My marriage changed, my relationships with others changed, and the way that I think about Christ-like love changed. Thank you for your encouragement!

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review