How Many Thumb Tacks?

I got the strawberries and cucumbers planted in a "Topsy Turvy" planter and hung it outside. I used a power drill all by myself and did not fall off of the ladder. The Topsy Turvy is not all it claims to be, though. I don't know if the cucumbers will survive. You see, you have to push the root ball through the hole and, in doing so, part of the roots get damaged no matter how careful you are. (Does anyone else see the relationship between this and sin? No matter how sneaky you think you are concerning your sin, there is always damage. God speaks to me in crazy ways sometimes...either that or I'm crazy and He speaks my language, and that makes me happy too. It made me think that I needed to talk to my children about the sneaky sins...and I did, and they 'got it' and we ate and were merry.) The cucumbers looked like they had been bludgeoned this morning but the strawberries looked okay. I haven't planted the tomatoes or watermelons yet. We ran out of potting soil, so I'll have to get another bag or two. They're going in the ground, though, so that will be easy-cheesy!
I also bought screens for our windows. In Germany, you buy the screen material and a velcro liner to attach them to. The velcro is sticky on one side, so you stick it to the window frame, then stick the screen material to the velcro side. It works great except that the velcro sticky-part isn't super sticky and comes off easily, but I solved that problem with thumb tacks...or so I thought. Turns out that thumb tacks bend easily and if you miss them with the hammer you can cause thumb damage. (That's a pun for 'some damage.' I don't know if you'll get it, but I'm giggling at myself.) Anyway, after several broken thumb tacks, I decided to rummage through our garage and see what nails I could find. There was thumbthing creepy in the garage, but I made it through okay. The first ones were too skinny and broke even easier than the thumb tacks. The others were roofing nails and too long to put in the window frame. So, at thumb point I will go get thumb nails (more puns...aren't I funny?) that are slightly larger than a thumb tack, but the same shape like a roofing nail, and I will finish screening our windows so that flies and mosquitoes don't come in all spring/summer/fall. Why didn't we do this before? I really can't answer that, especially considering the fact that we have to have our windows open 6 months of the year. It's possible that I never did it because Joe has been gone every single summer since we've moved here and since he wasn't here, I decided I was too girly to attempt it. Either that or I'm lazy. However, this year, I really wanted it done, so I'm doing it. I won't fall off of the ladder, but I may wobble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review