Teenagers everywhere!

For the last 2 weeks, since June 3rd, we have had two extra girls in our house...both 14, both friends of ours from Alabama. I can honestly say that the giggling is, in all honestly, funny, and that it has been a lot of fun to be around these "poorly socialized" home schooled girls. I will mention names at this point...

Natalie talks so fast that I often take out my imaginary ticket book and write fines for her speed. She says it's because her mouth is so diligently trying to keep up with her brain and I do believe her. What is even more amazing is that my Texan brain can comprehend her now. The first week she got somewhere around 10 tickets a day, and I haven't had to issue one in the last few days. (Exaggerating, yes, but the girl definitely speaks far faster than anyone else I've ever met!)

Rachael is hilarious. If Caylea tells her, 'You like chocolate," Rachael very animatedly says, "I LIKE CHOCOLATE!" Caylea will then immediately say, "No, you don't," and Rachael will completely change her face and say, "No, I don't. Yuck. Nasty chocolate." It doesn't 'read' as well as it comes across in person. I have laughed at length when they do their little show.

All 3 girls have had a blast. Caylea is usually the last one out of bed, Rachael is the first. At some point, all 3 pile up in Caylea's bed and giggle for a good 15 minutes before they roll out of the room to find something to eat. I've fed them, but I can't say I've fed them 'well.' Healthy food hasn't been a priority. I made sure they ate lots of Italian ice cream, regular ice cream, cookies, Tiramisu, and Apple Strudel. I also made sure they ate a Doner and Schnitzel. Some things just aren't optional when you visit Germany. They've had German pizza, German sandwiches, German waffles, and they even managed to walk down to the bakery for a nice breakfast with Caylea.

The first morning they were here, I woke them up and handed them each a cup of hot chocolate with a surprise of coffee (just a splash, moms) and a huge helping of whipped cream on top. I'm not sending them home heavier, though. The first week they were here, they helped do all of my chores since I was still recovering from having my appendix removed. The second week, when I got 'clearance,' we did some hiking and had a good time.

The only things I've been a "mom" about have been the chores (yes, I reminded everyone at least 100 times, my own children included) and about bed time. I refused to let them stay up past 11 or midnight because I knew the consequences would be dire the following day. No thank you to 3 grumpy teens!

I say 'teens,' but the honest truth is that there is a generation of parents and children who want to skip that label altogether, and I think 3 of them are here. All 3 have gone above and beyond to be helpful. They've hardly fussed a bit, and that's a huge deal for three girls who don't have sleepovers very often and who are suddenly thrown into a 2 week sleepover! They've also handled my chiding and my irritating sarcasm really well. I think it's been 3 full days since Natalie has said, "Are you serious?" I must be losing my touch. It's funny, though...in the first week when Natalie would ask if I was serious, Rachael, who doesn't know me as well, would answer, "No, Natalie. She's not." I'm glad she could read me so well or poor Natalie would've been left guessing. I never answer her. When she asks me if I'm serious, I often say, "Do you think I'm serious?" or something to that affect, with my most serious face; and then I watch her squirm. It shouldn't be so funny, so entertaining to me, an adult. Alas, it is.

The unique blending of their personalities couldn't be better. Natalie is the super literal one. Everything must be as you said, or you must have some kind of brain issue. Caylea is the artistic one. She's the one that has 8,000 ideas, all of which will work, but none of which are good enough in her mind. She's the first one to say, "HUH?" and ask the silliest questions you've ever heard. I often say to Caylea, "Can you just think that question in your head for a while before you let it out of your mouth? That way you won't look so unintelligent to all of us." She giggles, Natalie explains the situation to her, and we move on. Rachael is quiet, but funny and a great balance between the other two. When Natalie is questioning whether or not something is as I said it is, and Caylea is busy getting distracted by the rain patterns on the car window while wondering why people do the things they do, Rachael is observing and making mental notes to use in a feature film production.

I have had fun, but I am exhausted! Not physically...I've been making sure that I'm resting, but mentally I am kaput! I think once I drop them off at the airport, I'll head home and veg for a while. Wait, I can't...I have to teach piano, then tennis, then dinner....at least the summer is moving along....one day closer to October!

Comments

Rob said…
Ms. Tori, I was filing away notes abotu movie makign tooo....though I have to agree that Rachael is and was a wonderful balance and mediator and peace maker between me and so many other people in my life!
5Ingrams said…
Natalie, I can tell you are feverish. The fact that you have several typos that you didn't correct gives that away. :) I know you were filing, but you were so busy figuring out if I was serious, and if you should defend Caylea from me, you didn't have as much time to make mental notes. LOL I love you, kiddo!
Rob said…
Ok, I ALWAYS make those typos, i just forgot to correct them. I was also in a hurry with a brother wanting to get on the computer and freinds coming over.... don't judge me too hastily!

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review