Do pigs fly as fast as time?

Wow, these last 2 months have gone by quicker than I can blink! With Joe's return, we headed off to Belgium for a weekend, where we had Belgian waffles (which I didn't like) and Belgian chocolate (which Joe didn't like) and saw a vial that supposedly had the blood of Christ in it, and saw a sculpture by Michelangelo in a very large cathedral. (Madonna and Child, to be specific.) I never knew I was such a sculpture buff, but I really like that. It is even more impressive lately because our friend has taken up carving wood and we've seen, first-hand, how difficult it can be to work with raw materials and turn out a finished product. Michelangelo used stone and it is flawless. It looks like it was poured into a mold, but he did it with a hammer and chisel, in the 1500s, no less. It's amazing.
We spent Thanksgiving here at home with a family that we've recently reconnected with. We played games, ate lots of food, including two very mushy, runny pecan pies. Well, we didn't eat those. We tried. They were nasty. I give up. :) We stayed up late to watch the movie, "Eat, Pray, Love." I've heard that some people are using this book as their latest 'religious experience provider,' and I think that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in my life. The woman begins the movie selfish and lost and she ends it selfish and lost, just with someone she likes more than the first guy. That's your Tori review in a nutshell. I do like that they raised money to build a home for a woman and her child. (You're supposed to give a positive in there somewhere, right?)
It snowed Thanksgiving Day, which is super nice when it is super cold. The snow gives the cold a reason. We all drug out our snow pants and played in it, and have continued to play in it every single day since then. It has snowed almost every day. 3 of my piano students have tumbled on my steps, which inspired me to send the parents an email that said, "Please tell your children not to fall on my steps. It hurts." I also put salt on them, which did help, except the one boy who fell anyway and tried to come put his salty, grimy hands on my piano. I was nice about it. I just gently lifted him off of the bench and pointed him in the direction of the bathroom. What is it with boys and sticky hands? Seriously, every single day I have a boy student come sit at my piano, I have to send him away to wash his hands. I have 10 male students, which is a high number, and I end up wiping my piano after they leave. Gross boys, and my own son is included in that. He would never brush his hair if I didn't say to him, every morning, "Did you brush your hair?" "Oh." is his typical response as he scurries off to do it.
I'm looking forward to Christmas this year, so allowing our children to give out of their own spirits, and to have some good family time. We do miss our families, though. We are so very grateful for Skype.
I'm going to be 35 this year. I like that number. It makes me smile. I think I have 35 white hairs on my head too...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review