*Blink*

 It's December 2020.  The last time I wrote in this blog, Joe was deployed to Afghanistan, we lived in Valdosta, GA, Caylea was 17, Chloe was 14, and Josh was 12.  Buddy was 6 months old.  Josh was significantly shorter than me, a master Lego-builder, and had begun inventing things like his "shocking glove."  Chloe was volunteering at a local vet clinic, pursuing her dream of being a vet. Caylea was taking college courses (dual enrollment) and applying to colleges.  

Some time ago, I coined the term "Blink."  I've asked Caylea to write a song about it, and hopefully she will one day. It's a word that describes the passage of time that happens so slowly day by day, but so quickly year by year. I remember holding Caylea for the first time.  She was over 8 pounds, 2 pounds heavier than the doc told me she would be. She had curly hair when she was born, these soulful eyes, and she made eye contact with me and just held it.  It was miraculous.  It was love at first sight, smell, and coo.  I remember her first sentence, standing at a fence in a pasture, she pointed and said, "Mommy, see that cow?"  She was 11 months old.  I remember teaching her the alphabet when she was 18 months old.  After all, she could talk.  I remember teaching her how to read when she was 3 because we were bored, living in Korea, and had nothing else to do.  I had no idea that children's minds were so amazing.  Caylea taught me that, and many other things.  I remember the first time I heard her playing Fur Elise on the piano.  I had been playing it earlier, and she just copied me, note for note.  I was astounded.  She was 7.  She plays 7 instruments now, and she's married to her high school sweetheart.  She graduated Belmont University with a degree in songwriting and music business.  She's a songwriter, producer, and music teacher. She has her very own dog in her very own house with her very own life and I am so blessed to be her mom.*Blink*

I remember the first time I heard Chloe's heart beat.  It was echoing off her umbilical cord inutero, so the technician told me I was having twins and ordered an ultrasound.  It took them a week, and we found out it was just 1 baby, but for a week we were pretty terrified.  :)  I remember having to demand that the nurses GIVE MY CHILD TO ME NOW when she was born in an Army hospital in Korea.  They wanted to do things their way, but I got my way and was able to lock eyes with her.  She had strawberry blonde hair, an angel's kiss on her eye, and she was so tiny compared to her sister. Caylea adored her and called her, "My baby sister" for the longest time.  Chloe called Caylea "Sissy" and I thought it was adorable.  And Caylea could make Chloe laugh so hard!  Those deep belly laughs that babies do on viral videos that people watch for fun.  Those were the kind of laughs my girls had. I remember Chloe's first sentence, "GG, tree on," as my grandmother held her and she pointed at the Christmas tree to demand that the lights be turned on.  She was 9 months old.  I got it on video or no one would believe me.  I remember Chloe's love of all things living...bugs, animals, plants, animals, other kids, animals.  I remember her sobbing when she was 16 and had to make the difficult decision to stop pursuing being a veterinarian because her allergies/eczema just made it miserable.  I remember her joy when she learned a new painting technique or found a new preying mantis to feed. I remember the first time I heard her worship at the piano and I knew that God had given her a special Gift for worship. She's been engaged and then not engaged.  She's walked through harder things than most people ever think about and she's still standing strong, head held high, hands lifted in worship.  She plays 3 instruments, teaches at a local Christian school, has a BA in Interdisciplinary studies (Music and Art), and is pursuing her Master's degree in Worship Leadership at Liberty University.  She has her own turtle (hypoallergenic!) in her own apartment with her best friend since childhood and I am so blessed to be her mom.  *Blink*

I remember the dream I had the night Joe's Dad died.  His name was Wayne. He was standing in heaven and Jesus had his arm around Wayne's shoulders.  I didn't see Jesus, but I knew it was him.  Wayne was laughing and I said, "Why are you laughing?"  He said, "You're finally carrying my grandson," and then I saw glimpses of a boy from toddler to man.  He had brown hair, olive skin, and hazel-green eyes.  You see, Joe's Dad loved our girls, but he had said, "She's beautiful, but she's not a grandson."  He didn't live to meet Joshua.  I remember the look on Joe's face when I showed him the + stick and said, "Happy Father's Day.  It's a boy.  His name is Joshua Wayne Ingram and he's beautiful," and when the technician told me at 18 weeks pregnant that it was a boy, Joe and our friends cheered.  I said, "Why are you cheering?  I've been telling you this all along!" I wish I could draw people.  Sometimes I look at my now-grown son and I catch a glimpse of that dream from so long ago and it makes me feel so blessed.  He towers over me now, and he's studying Electrical Engineering and math at Liberty University. He is excelling, not only in his studies, but in his relationship with his co-workers at the local engineering research facility, where he is the team welder for all of LU's EE  and ME teams. He amazes me every single day and I am so blessed to be his mom. *Blink*

And then there's Joe.  We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in May.  I remember the first time we officially met...he thought I was obnoxious.  He still does.  ;)  I remember when he asked me to marry him with a motorcycle helmet on his head.  I remember the shirt he wore (that I still have) when our children were born.  I remember his laugh, his beautiful smile, his generous heart, and I feel incredibly thankful that God allowed us, helped us, taught us, to hang in there and get to this point in our marriage and still be friends.  Every hair that has turned gray or just turned away is a reminder that we have grown wiser together, grown older together, grown spiritually together, and I am so blessed to be his wife. *Blink*

I'm still teaching piano, for now.  I have a feeling that the Lord will call me out of that here soon, for reasons only He knows.  I can imagine life without teaching in it, and I know He will give me something else to do.  For now, "I have learned to be content in many circumstances," and I am blessed beyond measure for every *Blink* the Lord has given me.







Comments

Jrstallings said…
Such a great Blog. I wish I was better at this sort of thing, or simply had the time. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review