Is Summer Really Gone?

Well, yesterday was our first day without company in over 2 months. I went back and recounted....17 days this summer without having someone living with us. :) It made the time go faster, I guess, but it also wore me out. Looking ahead, I know that 8 weeks isn't a "long" time, but it sure feels like it. People think they're being helpful when they say, "Not much longer to go" to me, but that doesn't help a bit. It's still a long time and I pray that we never have to do this again. The kids have handled it well. No one has cried this month....yet. :)

I think the main thing God was trying to get through my thick skull was to be content in all circumstances (Phil. 4:11-12, 1 Tim. 6:6) and to not be easily flustered when things don't go according to Tori's awesome plan. :)

We start school on Tuesday. I am keeping 3 kids all weekend while their parents go to Prague. I'm keeping 4 kids in September for a weekend. Fortunately we like these kids and they seem to like us, especially when "Tori makes a BIG breakfast with bacon!" I enjoy having the home that people come to in order to relax and I pray that our family's actions and attitudes will be a living example of Christ to everyone who comes into our home. This German weather has allowed for several porch nights with fire. We had 2 weeks of summer this year...2 weeks that were hot enough to swim and not shiver. The cold weather has its advantages. Roasting marshmallows over an open fire isn't pleasant in 95 degree weather, but it sure is fun when it's only 60. We roast gummy bears too. They are gooey goodness when held over an open flame.

We also found out recently that we will be here another year, so for those of you who haven't made it to Europe and stayed at Ingram Inn, start making your plans. God is apparently getting us ready to run a bed and breakfast, so we'll practice on those of you that we know.

For those of you that think we're crazy for inviting people after a summer like this one, read Romans 12:13, Romans 16:23 (just call us Gaius!) 1 Timothy 5:10 and 1 Peter 4:9. I didn't wash anyone's feet, but I did give Martha a foot massage and pedicure.

The key, I think, is that whatever God puts on our plate to do, we have to do it without grumbling and complaining. That's in Philippians too. Sometimes I feel like certain passages of Scripture were written just for me. Like it should say, TORI, do everything without grumbling and complaining! TORI, be content in all circumstances because that's the secret to a happy life! Yup. We're happy. :D

Comments

HappyGirl said…
You're funny! I need a serious attitude adjustment right now; sure wish you were here to smack me around a bit, in a metaphorical sense, of course! I'm so jealous that you get to stay in Germany for another year. I would kill to come back. I really, really don't like the US anymore. Isn't that sad? (This is where you remind me to "be content in all circumstances"). Hahaha! Miss you guys.
HappyGirl said…
You are funny! I am having serious attitude problems right now; I'm finding it very difficult to "be content in all circumstances." Sure wish you were here to smack me around a bit, in a metaphorical sense, of course! :) I'm jealous that you get to stay in Germany another year. I'd give anything to come back. Miss you guys!
5Ingrams said…
Well, pregnancy does cause attitude issues at times...add to that a nearly grown son, pre-teen daughter and 2 toddlers and I'd need a major attitude adjustment too! Hang in there. You're only in the trenches for so long and then all of a sudden your kids are gone and you can shower again. Do try to be content about it, though. It really is the 'secret to happiness in this life.' :) We miss you too.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review