Moving In

They delivered our furniture on Wednesday, April 16th.  It was cold and cloudy most of the morning, and then the sun started peeking through and we all "hoorayed."  That lasted about 10 minutes and then it started hailing.  Hail, here, though is very small.  It's nothing like the golf-ball size Texas hail that sends you running for the nearest tree.  The guys patiently worked through.  I kept wiping the front steps with a towel because they're tile and VERY slippery when wet.  They were grateful, I think.  They were very friendly and took orders very well.  I did the typical Officers job.  I sat there and checked off box numbers and when they walked by I said, "Family Room" or wherever I wanted the item to go.  They kept asking, "How many more BIG pieces do you have?"  I just laughed.  I counted about 12 really large items...couch, entertainment center, 5 dressers, kitchen table, dining room table, dining room hutch, curio cabinet, and my elliptical machine.  I forgot a few, but by the time they got to the end, they were just grateful to be done.  One guy said, "There is nothing as heavy as your dish boxes."  
When we first got here, we were in the lemon lot looking to buy a used vehicle for Joe.  We met a very nice couple in the parking lot, and they invited us to dinner for homemade pizza.  Anyway, I think I've already blogged about that.  At 4pm on moving day, she drove up with her daughter carrying spaghetti, bread, and salad.  We ate it for 3 days.  It was wonderful to not think about food while I was unpacking.  If I or my kids got hungry, we ate spaghetti.  This is a situation to "pay forward."  Usually we are the ones finding the young airmen and having them over to be a substitute family for them.  We did it in Korea and it continued when we came back to the states.  Joe has always been very hospitable, and once he got me to see that God has called us to be hospitable (Paul says so in Romans), I jumped on board.  It is nothing for him to call me at 4pm and say, "3 guys are coming for dinner.  Do you have enough or should I pick up more food?"  The problem is that they are young (20-25) year old males and you ca only imagine how much they eat.  They always bring stuff, though, and flowers for me.  It's a universal gesture that, although makes Chloe sneeze, I display while they are there.
I digress from the moving...I said all of that to encourage you to do the same.  Be hospitable in your church and neighborhood.  If someone new visits your church, have them over for lunch.  It's not the meal that matters, it's the gesture.  If someone moves into your neighborhood, take them sandwiches.  Again, they won't care if it is day-old bread.  Well, they might, but they don't have to eat it and they'll still think "How nice of them!"  Situations like that offer opportunities to witness.
My Grandmother's china made it safe and sound.  Only 1 crystal glass was broken.  
When my children were very young I was ambitious and determined to capture everything about them.   A goof friend taught me how to make plaster molds of their hands and feet using putty and plaster of paris.  I made a set for the grandmothers and myself.  All 3 of their hands were broken.  Their feet were fine.  There is no monetary value that can be assigned to cheap plaster of paris that has preserved your children's tiny little hands.  I have to admit, I almost cried and I'm not big on crying.  
A few things were chipped, like Joshua's mask.  Last summer we went to Branson, Missouri with my entire family (mom, dad, sister-in-law, 2 nieces, nephew, Joe's sister's family) and they all went to the Chinese theater.  Josh and I stayed home because he was throwing up.  (Yes, Mom, I should've let you stay home with him.  What can I say?)  Anyway, the family brought him back a cool mask that had been signed by all of the performing artists.  He loves that green mask and was looking forward to hanging it on his wall.  it isn't ruined, and I think I'll be able to glue the chipped piece back on.   We also broke a tile moving the elliptical into the house.  They got it up the front stairs and had to set it down to rest, but set it on the edge of a tile.  We all heard the "CRACK."  The head mover said, "uh-oh."  It was only 1 tile, though, and the LL has extra, so Joe will fix it.  He's my fix-it guy.  He's quite handy to have around.  He got the entire family room set up to include a foosball table, tv with Wii and Playstation, and surround-sound speaker system.  He also bought a card top for our round table because we love playing cards with family.  It looks great.
I have heard more "Woo-hoo"s than I've heard in a long time because the kids felt like Christmas.  It's been almost 4 months since we left Montgomery, so they're seeing their toys for the first time in a long time.  Now if we only had closets to put them somewhere!  We get 2 more "shrunks" delivered today, and we've purchased a couple of used ones.  You see, in Germany, people are taxed by the # of rooms in their homes, and a closet is considered a room.  Thus, no closets.  We HOPE that when we leave, the landlords will be willing to purchase our purchases and use them for their next tenants.  
I did let the kids go on a walk by themselves.  Caylea just turned 12 and I figured if I can't trust her to keep up with them by now, I haven't done my job.  They walked to the park that is maybe 200 yards around the corner from our house.  I gave them an hour.  they came home grinning from ear to ear, having flung each other off of the merry-go-round.  Yesterday was just a beautiful day.  We let them play outside all day.  I have to admit that my children are as close to perfect as children can get.  Caylea completely organized/unpacked/settled into her room.  Joshua did too, as much as his little 7 year old self was capable of, and, poor Chloe.  Her room is HUGE, so it is hers/homeschool room.  the homeschool section is terrible right now.  I don't have enough book space.  We'll get book shelves this week and have it all done.  Her actual section of the room is done, and she and CAylea have been diligently folding the laundry that is endless right now.  You CAN walk in the laundry room now though.  You have no idea how much things smell after being in storage for 4 months.  
They just called to say they're on their way to deliver my other "closets."  "WOO HOO!"  :)

Comments

Cameo Lovell said…
So what exactly is a shrunk? Is it a mix between a trunk and a shelf?
5Ingrams said…
A "shrunk" is a wardrobe. It's basically a moveable closet. It has hanging space and a shelf on top. The ones from the military are around 4 feet wide and 6 1/2 feet tall, so they have a little space. We bought a bigger one and 2 smaller ones, but we haven't gotten the 2 small ones yet. We'll get them this Saturday, April 26th.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review