Snow Days in Germany

When we woke up this morning and opened our windows, this is what we saw. No wonder this move was so difficult and I had so many pieces of luggage! Thanks for the warning that those of you who have been to Germany told us.
"It never snowed at all while I was in Germany."
"It snowed a couple of times, but it never stuck."
"It snowed one day on July 3rd, but that's not normal."
"It only snows in North Germany, up in the mountains."
"Ramstein hasn't seen snow in 3 years."
HA HA HA Joke's on me, right?
Fortunately, a friend of a friend let us know that it was snowing the week before we got here. That's why I had 7,856 pieces of luggage. I had to prepare for Texas winters, which are notoriously cold in the morning and around 75 in the afternoon...Florida winter, where it is a rainy 42 one day and is 82 the next...and Germany, which we had NO CLUE was going to be like this in April.
Questions home schooled children ask (I'm sure all children do, but it's more fun to make fun of my "poor" home schooled children) and the answers I gave them:
"Can I eat it?" Only if it's white. Please don't eat yellow snow.
"If I made a cup out of snow and pour water in it, will the water be really cold?" Josh, the cup would melt because the water is warmer than the snow.
"Can I make a snow angel?" Make sure you do it in a grassy area. If you "snow angel" the snow away on top of mud, you'll be laying in mud.
"Can I throw this at you?" Yes, but don't start something you can't finish.
"Can I throw this at Daddy." Absolutely! Let me help you make it bigger and firmer...we probably shouldn't aim at his head.
"If it's snowing in a Northwest direction with a wind velocity of 20 knots, how long will it take the snow to go from that cloud that is 1000 feet high to me?" Ummmm, if any of my kids really asked that question, I would NOT be home schooling. They'd be in some Mensa class so they could come home and teach ME.
I drove for the first time today. Yes, I know, what an induction. It's snowing hard enough that visibility is poor, I'm slightly nervous because a German lady beat up our car last week, and TODAY is the day for Mommy to drive. I usually have great conversations with my kids in the car, but today I told them they had to be absolutely silent. They were. They're perfect, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review