The Wedding

We called Joe's parents and they talked to me on the phone. I was informed that his sister, Cathy, didn't like any of his previous girlfriends and that I should expect her to not like me either. I didn't care. I talked to her on the phone, told her who I was, and we have been friendly ever since. She says I didn't give her a choice, just showing up like that. :) His Mom said, "What kind of ring did you get her?" Joe said, "I haven't gotten one yet." I could HEAR his Mom...."YOU MEAN YOU ASKED HER TO MARRY YOU WITHOUT A RING AND SHE SAID YES? YOU GO GET THAT GIRL A RING TODAY, SON!" She didn't know that I wasn't "that" kind of girl. It didn't bother me. Rings are symbols, that's it.
He talked to my parents. We originally planned a 2 year engagement because Joe's Korean class was a year longer than my Spanish class, and we knew he had to go to Korea for a year after that. My Dad said, "Do you love each other?" "Yes." "Do you know you want to get married?" "Yes." "THen why are you waiting? Can't you do a double wedding with your best friend? Oh, no, well, get married the next day then. What do you need to do that?"
We flew in to Nashville, TN and were picked up by my parents and my best friend, Susan. My Dad walked up to Joe and said, "Let me see your teeth." Joe smiled his biggest smile. Dad said, "Make a muscle," and Joe did. My Dad felt the tone of Joe's muscle and said, "Well, you'll do." Then he hugged Joe.
My parents had exchanged photos with JOe's parents. My parents had a pretty good idea of what Joe looked like, but Joe's parents were given a GLAMOUR photo of me, taken at 18 years old. I had on more make-up in one picture than I've ever worn in my life. Joe's mom was horrified. His Dad carried the picture in his wallet and said, "Look who my son's marrying." He was so proud. When his mom first saw me, at 3 in the morning, short hair, no make-up, she took my face in her hands and said, "You'll do." Most people talk about their fear of the "mother-in-law," but Sun and I have always accepted each other, from day one. I can't even begin to describe my love for her.
After all of that, we did get married the next day after his best friend. My Dad picked out my wedding dress. My Mom tried it on to make sure it would fit me, but she got it longer because I'm taller than she is. His sister took care of all of the decorations and his Mom took care of all of the food. My parents wrote a lot of checks. :) Our rehearsal dinner was a cook-out hosted at Joe's church by his Dad, Wayne. He was a great bbqer.
My Dad said something when he was giving me away at the rehearsal that made the pastor, Bro. Hooker, upset. Dad was at the part where he was giving me away and he said, "Is this where Joey gives me the money?" Everyone laughed. Pastor Hooker did not laugh. He began to give us a sermon on the sanctity of marriage. My Dad grinned at me and I grinned right back. I think that made the pastor even more upset, but you have to have a sense of humor or life is no fun. After the ceremony, Joey walked up to my Dad and handed him a $5. We were poor and it's all he had on him at the time. Dad took it, got the photographer to take a picture, and framed that $5. It's still in a frame today. Dad says that I was unproven, so $5 was enough, but today he would ask for 20 Angus and one Brahma. It's a compliment in my Dad's own unique way. :)

I was late to the wedding because Joe's friend, Sherri, was doing my hair and make-up, and she wanted to make sure that I was the right one for him, as if it was her decision. :) I got there, though, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. I had no where to run, but I can tell you this...Joe's Mom said REPEATEDLY, up until 5 minutes before I walked the isle in the church's bathroom, "You still have time to back out." She says she wasn't trying to push me away from Joey ,but I was young and she wanted to be sure that I was sure.
We literally showed up, took a practice run, and said, "I do." My dress was slightly too long, so when I started down the isle with my DAd I tripped. I said, "Dad, I'm tripping." I already had tennis shoes on with white laces (couldn't wear heels because of the bad ankles), and my DAd said, "Kick like a horse," so I did. I kicked that dress all the way down the isle.
Joe thought it would be funny to put mouth freshener in his mouth right before kissing me, then he REALLY kissed me and his Mom said, from the congregation, "Save that for later." Everyone laughed, I turned red. What do you do?
Just for the record, on our wedding day, my husband out-weighed me by a whopping 5 pounds. We flew out the next morning to go back to DLI for more language training, so, after nearly 13 years of marriage, we've still never had a "honeymoon," but we're okay with that. We've had more fun being married than we could've had on a honemoon anyway. My husband now outweighs me by 50 pounds, and I'm not a very good cook. God knew that I needed to marry a man who was smarter and stronger than me, and that could cook, and he needed a wife who would keep him humble, which is hard when he's smarter and stronger than me. :)
We are truly blessed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi You guys! I remember that day very well. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. I have been enjoying reading your emails and was happy to see you have a blog now! I hope you are doing well and keeping Joey out of trouble ;)
Stay safe and have fun
Love, Susie
5Ingrams said…
It doesn't seem that long, and yet we have all of these little people following us around. Hmmm...

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review