EEEEEEEK #2

1,000 Dr. Peppers couldn't make me this jittery. I am finding things to clean just to keep myself from going nuts. 4 more hours. At some point I'm going to take a shower, but I am trying to hold myself off so I'm not sitting here at the house, ready to go, 2 hours early. The house is sparkling. The kids put on clothes that look decent, including Josh, and I already made my bed. I cooked a "BIG breakfast." I cleaned the kitchen really well. I used a toothpick on the cracks. I used oven cleaner on the stove top. Seriously, I am finding things to do. I dusted. I swept. I vacuumed. I mopped. All of that I did yesterday after running 3 miles and I still feel like I have more energy than I know what to do with. It took forever to fall asleep last night but I had a great moment of clarity while reading C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity." It was a laugh out loud moment which, from a scholar like him, was unexpected. I giggled for a good while. What was that quote? Hold on, I'll go get the book...while going to get the book I remembered that I want to paint my toenails. I'll do that in a minute. I'm going to paraphrase because if you're anything like me, Lewis is not the easiest to read or understand.
Speaking about human nature and our innate ability to decipher moral 'right' from 'wrong,' whether we are a Christian or not, he says to think of a piano. (That got my attention for obvious reasons. I mean, God just revealed something to me while mine was being tuned!) Lewis says that a piano doesn't have two kinds of notes on it, the 'right' ones and the 'wrong' ones. Every note is right at one time or another and every note is wrong at one time or another. I used to tell my piano students, "That was the right note, you just played it at the wrong time." Perhaps that stuck in my brain the first time I tried, and failed, to read his book. :) What is the point? I don't know. I just thought that was funny. I actually do know what his point was but I'm not going to get into that because you would probably get bored or mad at me. I do agree with him, though. He wrote 'Mere Christianity' as a means to draw people to Christ, not any particular religion. He equates Christianity with a house that has a long hall filled with doors. He simply wanted to get people into the hallway and they were free to choose their own door. He says, and this really struck me, "When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house." I think if more Christians did that, the church would finally unite in Spirit.
Yes, I'm still really excited. I started reading that book because I tried years ago and couldn't get past the Preface, but amazingly, God has allowed me to understand the vast majority of it this time through, and I'm not even one of those 'smart' people. I think I should go paint my toenails now, but in my excitement, I was skipping and I don't mind telling you that, I kicked one of my toes so hard it turned colors. I'll just paint over it. :)
I may not write again for a while, not that any of you are holding your breath, waiting anxiously on Tori's weird trains of thought. To quote one of my favorite Veggie characters, "I'm busy, busy, dreadfully busy...more than a bumblebee more than an ant! Busy, busy, shockingly busy! I'd love to 'type', but I can't!" :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 in a Nutshell

TDY en-route

2012 in Review